We (including my children) love Quinoa. The other day I got to spend an extended time (sans lovely children) at the grocery store, where I stumbled upon organic red and black quinoa. I decided to grab a bag of the black variety, and I’m happy to say it worked just as well for a simple side dish. Let me know what you think. And as always, use what you have on hand. Try rice wine vinegar or feta cheese instead of my choices here. Have fun!
- 1 cup cooked black quinoa
- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- 1 bunch chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced, then chopped red onion
- 2 seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 1 segmented orange
- 1 chopped avocado, thin slices for garnish
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- Cook quinoa following instructions (so simple, like couscous)
- Crumble, chop and slice the veggies
- Whisk together the vinegar and oil
- Put it all in a bowl and mix together
This can be served hot or cold. I had it for lunch today with cold chicken I roasted a couple of days ago. It was delicious and I’m sad that it is all gone. Time to cook some more!
INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT QUINOA
- 6g protein for 1/4 cup. Which is about 2 spoonfuls.
- One of the best sources of protein and amino acids
- Gluten free
- Whole grain